People with disabilities have the right to access the same opportunities and participate fully in society, just like everyone else. Unfortunately, many barriers exist that prevent individuals with disabilities from enjoying the same quality of life and participation in their communities. This series focuses on disability rights and how they support access to everyday life and community involvement for people with disabilities.
Why you should watch/listen
Individuals can gain a deeper understanding of the challenges faced by people with disabilities, as well as the legal protections and resources available to them.
Watch the Vodcast
Episode 1: Overview of Disability Rights – Talks about the history of rights’ progression and discrimination for people with disabilities and certain disability-centric laws that offer protection against discrimination.
- 0:50 – Rights and Privileges
- 2:05 – The Americans with Disabilities Act
- 5:45 – Olmstead & Community Settings
- 6:30 – Resources for Community Settings Rights in Colorado
- 8:05 – IDEA and Educational Rights
Episode 2: Educational Rights – Learn the alphabet soup of resources that support free appropriate public education (FAPE) for students with disabilities, including IDEA, LRE, IEPs, and 504s. Additionally, learn what to do if you think your education rights are being violated.
- 0:47 – Free Appropriate Public Education (FAPE) and Least Restrictive Environments (LRE)
- 2:34 – Federal Protections
- 3:35 – Resolving violations of a student’s protections
Episode 3: Physical Setting Rights – Learn about laws that prohibit discrimination against individuals with disabilities in all areas of public life, including at work, at school, while using public transportation, and at all other public and private places that are open to the general public. Also, learn what steps to take if discrimination is occurring.
- 0:45 – The Americans with Disabilities Act
- 2:30 – Myths and Facts about the ADA
- 4:25 – What to do if your ADA rights are violated
Episode 4: Community Living Rights – Learn about community-focused rights and programs that ensure people with disabilities can live and participate in the community as citizens, as well as what to do if those rights are not being upheld.
- 0:45 – Guarantees from the Olmstead Decision
- 2:00 – What to do if your Olmstead rights are violated?
- 2:50 – Transitioning out of Institutions
Episode 5: Voting Rights – Learn how people with disabilities are entitled to have access to vote regardless of disability or guardian, as well as what to do if that access is encumbered or denied.
- 0:50 – Access to polling centers and protections
- 2:35 – What to do if your voting rights are violated
- 3:44 – Guardianship and Voting
- 4:55 – Additional voting rights resources: Helpline providing voting legal advice 1 (866) 687-8683